Haverford College Presents
Arctic Expedition: Under the Midnight Sun
with Helen White
Associate Professor of Chemistry and Environmental Studies
June 14 to 24, 2019
Reserve your space by October 26th for early booking savings. See the tour brochure for details.
Join Haverford alumni, family, and friends for this unique 11-day itinerary featuring an extraordinary seven-night cruise through the otherworldly Arctic Circle on the five-star, eco-friendly ship, L’Austral, exclusively chartered for your expedition.
Travel during the region’s most enchanting season, when shimmering ice basks in the midnight sun’s ceaseless glow. Sail the shores of secluded Spitsbergen, the jewel of Norway’s rarely visited Svalbard archipelago; see glaciers crease and calve in luminous blues; and look for the enigmatic polar bear. Survey an ethereal topography of red sandstone mountain ranges, lush green tundra, and awe-inspiring ice formations. Enjoy Zodiac excursions led by a team of expert naturalists in diverse, serene terrains, where remarkable wildlife—including whales, walruses, seals, Svalbard reindeer, Arctic foxes, northern fulmars and Arctic terns—roam freely.
Complimentary Wi-Fi and alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise. The program’s flight to Longyearbyen originates in Paris; spend one night in a downtown Paris hotel before the flight and one night in the deluxe Hilton Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Hotel upon return from the Arctic. Paris Pre-Program Option available.
For more information, contact Sara Goddard at 610-896-4279 or email@example.com.
Day and Destination
Day 1 - Depart from the U.S. or Canada
Day 2 - Paris, France
Day 3 - Paris | Fly to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Norway | Embark L’Austral
Day 4 - Hornsund for Burgerbukta and Samarin Glacier
Day 5 - Bellsund for Calypsobyen and Camp Millar
Day 6 - Cruise the Arctic Ice Pack | Polar Bear Search
Day 7 - Woodfjorden for Makeoyane | Manaco Glacier
Day 8 - Raudfjorden | Smeerenburg
Day 9 - Ny-Alesund | Kongsfjorden for King’s Glacier
Day 10 - Longyearbyen | Disembark ship | Fly to Paris, France
Day 11 - Paris | Return to the U.S. or Canada
Activity Level: Active
The carefully planned excursions offered on this cruise are designed to highlight as much of the destination and important sights while in port. While ashore in Svalbard, the terrain is rugged, and therefore, a fair amount of walking on uneven and/or slippery terrain is to be expected. This is an expedition-type cruise involving shore landings by Zodiac inflatable landing crafts. Passengers must be able to negotiate a steep gangway and get in and out of the Zodiac inflatable landing crafts with minimal assistance.
*Itinerary is subject to change.
In Paris, France
- One night upon arrival in a centrally located downtown hotel, with breakfast.
Flight from Paris to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Norway
On board the exclusively chartered, Five-Star L’Austral
- Seven-night round trip Longyearbyen, cruising to Hornsund, Bellsund, Woodfjorden, Raudfjorden, Smeerenburg, Ny-Alesund and Kongsfjorden, weather, ice and sea conditions permitting.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Souvenir polar-grade red parka to wear.
- All meals—early continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
- Onboard expedition team of naturalists who provide a series of lectures about local wildlife and topography.
- Exploration by Zodiac landing craft, accompanied by an expert naturalist guide from the expedition team.
- Cruise into secluded fjords and bays to search for the elusive polar bear.
- Zodiac cruise of sheltered Burgerbukta, where glacial-blue ice fronts snow-stripped cliffs.
- Shore excursion to remote Samarin Glacier, a dramatic landscape of otherworldly ice formations.
- Shore excursion to Calypsobyen, a former coal mining settlement now populated with Arctic foxes and terns.
- Shore excursion to Camp Millar, once a gold mining base and today a favored grazing ground for the endemic Svalbard reindeer.
- Cruise of stunning Woodfjorden, where glacier-fronted shores lead to majestic alpine summits and red sandstone mountains.
- Cruise to Monaco Glacier, an actively calving ice sheet at the end of scenic Liefdefjorden.
- Hike along the shores of awe‑inspiring Raudfjorden.
- Excursion to historic Smeerenburg, a former whaling station and now a prized resting shore for walruses.
- Walking tour of Ny-Alesund, a research town and one of the world’s northernmost year-round communities.
- Zodiac cruise of spectacular Kongsfjorden, a fertile environment for birds and bearded seals, to stunning King’s Glacier.
Flight from Longyearbyen to Paris, France
In Paris, France
- One night on return from the Arctic in the deluxe Hilton Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Hotel, with breakfast.
Enhanced Travel Services
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- All excursions and visits, as outlined above, with experienced local guides.
- Experienced naturalists and local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom aboard ship.
- Hospitality desk in the hotel and aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
The exclusively chartered, Five-Star L’Austral features only 110 Suites and Staterooms, distinctive French sophistication and complimentary onboard Wi-Fi.
Elegantly Appointed Suites and Staterooms, 95% with Private Balconies
Each deluxe Stateroom and Suite (200 to 484 square feet), features a private bathroom with shower, luxurious Five‑Star hotel amenities and minibar with complimentary beverages; most have two twin beds that convert into one queen bed. Enjoy accommodation amenities including individual climate control, satellite flat‑screen television, safe, full-length closet, writing desk/dressing table, plush robes and slippers.
Chic and Casual Dining
International and regional cuisine is served in the stylish, spacious Le Coromandel dining room in single, unassigned seating; alfresco in the casual Le Rodrigues Restaurant; or from
24-hour room service. Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise. Continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four‑course dinner are served daily. Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
Spacious Public Areas/World-Class Service and Facilities
In keeping with the low passenger density, the public areas are spacious and inviting, and they can accommodate all passengers comfortably. Enjoy views from the Panoramic Lounge, nightly entertainment in the Main Lounge and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater. There is a library, Internet salon, Sun Deck, swimming pool, beauty salon, spa, Turkish bath‑style steam room, full range of fitness equipment, two elevators and an infirmary staffed with a doctor and a nurse. The highly trained and personable, English‑speaking, international crew provides attentive service.
Respect for the Environment
The state-of-the-art propulsion system and custom-built stabilizers provide an exceptionally smooth, quiet and comfortable voyage. By design, the ship is energy efficient and environmentally protective of marine ecosystems and has been awarded the prestigious “Clean Ship” designation due to its advanced eco-friendly features, a rarity among ocean-cruising vessels. The ship has two tenders and 10 Zodiacs.
Spend an additional night in the “City of Lights”—the signature cosmopolitan site of love, literature and style, Paris pervades in our cultural consciousness as a glowing gem of artistic and aesthetic triumph. See many of its most iconic landmarks on a guided city tour before delving into the remote landscapes of the far Arctic.
The Pre-Program is available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
Passports: You will need a signed and valid passport for all international travel. Apply well in advance as passport processing times have increased due to high volume.
Health & Safety:
- US Dept. of State Travel Information – Information about health conditions, security, and embassy or consulate contact information for every country in the world.
- Travel Advisories – Check Travel Advisories for your intended destination and sign-up to receive updated Travel Advisories and Alerts.
- Center for Disease Control – Health notices for destinations outside the U.S.
- For international travel, check with your medical insurance carrier about coverage protection.
- Exchange Rates & Information
The Travel Program outlined here is subject to the features, final pricing, and terms and conditions set forth in the published Travel Program brochure.
Summon your adventurous spirit and join Haverford College for a truly memorable travel experience. Visit stunning destinations with well-read, curious travelers, learn from subject matter experts and guest lecturers, and relax in comfort while experienced tour directors and local guides take care of the details.
For additional information about the Haverford Travel Program, contact:
Assistant Director of Individual Giving